Thursday, January 14, 2010

Praying for Pretty




Ever since I was a little girl, I've been praying for pretty. Not for a transformation into a princess, or a unicorn because even in pre-school, I was never a fan of artificiality--coined by kaydigs. Pay me for your usage :) But anyway, I never beckoned God for a cute hair day, or to wake up as Laktika from Slum Dog Millionaire, but for beauty--real and captivating.

I write cuter with a rhinestone encrusted pen than a typical Bic or those ugly Roseart ones. I do school work better with cute nails. I talk better in the presence of a cute boy--not so abnormal,I know, but it's all subconscious for me. That's what's abnormal. I'd do my homework better if my room were turquoise with tons of black and white pictures on my wall. I pray for pretty.

But, I don't discriminate. I pray for ugly. Not ugly in a sense that it's unpleasant to me, but society's view of ugly. I pray for more Alek Wek's in the media and the day it is ok for a woman to be black, literally. I pray for some stretch marks and some cellulite in some love scenes in a theater near you. I pray for a plus size woman on the cover of American Vogue. I pray for a woman crying and angry in a HPV commercial. I pray for less prop "h8" and gay marriage in 50 states and the day that little girls stop wanting to be a Bratz doll and start wanting to be them. I pray for pretty--real and captivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

got a voice? be my guest :)